About the University
The University of World Economy and Diplomacy was established upon the initiative of the First President of Uzbekistan on September 23rd, 1992 as the first higher educational institution of independent Uzbekistan.
The main objectives of the University are:
- training of highly qualified personnel in the field of the world economy, interstate relations, diplomacy, international law and international journalism;
- development and improvement of scientific, cultural and other practical ties with foreign higher educational institutions as well as concluding long-term agreements on cooperation and mutual assistance;
- training of highly qualified personnel, establishing cooperation with foreign educational institutions, states, public and private entities, companies and banks
- ensuring the opportunity for students and employees of advanced training abroad;
- training of multi-discipline specialist in the field of international relations on the basis of practical ties with embassies, consulates, other missions and organizations of foreign countries;
- extensive involving of foreign scientists, specialists, business circles and establishment of various schools, courses, seminars, methodological and advisory points with their participation;
- the creation of scientific centers, councils, laboratories for multilateral research and elaborating in the field of the world economy and business, interstate relations, diplomacy, international law and journalism.
In October-December 1992 , the priorities concerning the organization structure, main areas for activity as well as faculty of the university work were identified. On February 1st, 1993 the university launched programs in three directions: International Relations, International Law and International Economic Relations directions.
Currently, the structure of the UWED includes 4 Faculties : International Economic Relations, International Law , International Relations and the Language Training Center, The Institute of Management, Diplomatic Courses, the Legal Clinic, the centre for Spirituality and Enlightenment, Center for IT and Distance Learning, Information Resource Center, Center for Public Administration and Public Law, Japanese Centre, Korean Centre, the laboratory for Negotiations, the Center for Teaching Conference Interpreters, the Academic Lyceum and 18 departments.
The university implements a tree-step educational system that includes a Bachelor's degree (5 years), a Master's degree (2 years) and a Doctorate (3 years). The training of Bachelors and Masters is conducted in 3 directions. For the Doctoral Studies there are 3 scientific spheres. 13 foreign languages are intensively taught at seven language departments of the Language Training Center.
It is important to emphasize the international links of the university. At different times, the University was visited by the Presidents of many foreign countries (President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Medvedev, President of the Republic of Korea Lee Myung-bak, President of the Republic of Latvia Valdis Zatlers), Foreign Ministers (Russia - S. Lavrov, Japan - J. Kawaguchi) and US State Secretaries (Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton) Secretaries–General of international organizations (Lord John Robertson, NATO, Frederico Mayor and Kōichirō Matsuura , UNESCO), as well as eminent international scholars and experts (Zbigniew Brzezinski, Viktor Sadovnichy, Frederick Starr etc.)
Since its foundation the UWED conferred the degree of Honorary Doctorate upon a number of prominent politicians such as Prime Minister of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas (2002), President of the Russian Federation Dmitry Medvedev (2009), Presidents of KOICA Kim Suk Hon (2004), Shin Zhang Boom (2006), Park Dae-Won (2012), Secretary General of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of South Korea Cho Jung Pyo (2008). UWED cooperates with various educational institutions of the European Union, Great Britain, Japan, Korea, China and other countries within the framework of bilateral cooperation agreements and scientific and educational programs.