The University of World Economy and Diplomacy was established by the initiative of the President of Uzbekistan on September 23, 1992 as the first higher educational institution of independent Uzbekistan on the following purposes:
- To train highly-qualified specialists in the fields of world economy, international relations, diplomacy, international law and international journalism;
- To develop and strengthen the scientific, cultural and business relations with foreign universities of similar profiles with signing long term bilateral agreements on cooperation and mutual assistance;
- To cooperate with foreign educational institutions, state, public and private organizations, banks, and business entities in order to train highly qualified personnel in the abovementioned fields;
- To enable training for the students and the staff abroad;
- To study and use of international experience in training high-quality experts in the fields of international relations, including through cooperation with foreign embassies, consulates, trade and other representations;
- To organize various courses, seminars, conferences, research programs with involving foreign scholars, specialists and businessmen in these activities in the framework of the university;
- To establish research centers, councils, laboratories in the fields of world economy and trade, interstate relations, diplomacy, international law and international journalism;
The works pertaining internal structure, guidelines for action and teaching staff of the university were done in October – December 1992. On February, 1993 the teaching and educational process, involving “International relations”, “International law” and “International economic relations” launched its activity.
Nowadays, the university has 4 faculties -“International relations”, “International law”, “International economic relations”, and “Language studies”, Institute of management, Diplomatic courses, the Clinic for legal advices, Spirituality and enlightenment center, Information technology and distance learning center, Information resource center, State administration and public law center, Japan and Korea centers, Negations Laboratory, the Center for preparation of translators, Academic lyceum and 18 departments.
The three-step based educational system, involving bachelor (5 years), master`s degree (2 years) on 8 directions and doctorate program (3 years) in three scientific specialties is implemented at the university. Moreover, there are 13 intensive foreign languages preparation courses at 7 language departments.
It is worth noting international relations of the university. Presidents (the President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev, President of the Republic of Korea Lee Myung-bak, President of Latvia Valdis Zatlers), the Ministers of Foreign Affairs (Russia - Lavrov, Japan - Y.Kavaguchi), and Secretaries of various foreign countries (Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton), general secretaries of international organizations (Lord John Robertson, NATO Frederico Mayor and Koichiro Matsuura, UNESCO), and prominent international scholars and experts (Zbigniew Brzezinski, Viktor Sadovnichy, Frederick Starr, and others.) paid visit the University at different times.
Prime Minister of Lithuania Algirdas Brazauskas (2002), Russian President Dmitry Medvedev (2009), Presidents of KOICA Kim Suk Hyonu (2004), Shin Zhang Boom (2006) Park Dae-Won (2012) and the General Secretary-of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Korea Cho Jung-pyo (2008) became Honorary Doctors of the University.
UWED cooperates with various educational institutions of the European Union, the United Kingdom, Japan, Korea, China and other countries in the framework of bilateral cooperation agreements and scientific-educational programs.